I am not a big consumer or shopper, but when I do buy something, it is at Costco or Amazon. Costco is actually mostly groceries, but Amazon has yielded so many treasures. To be upfront, I get a small fee for any Amazon item bought, but it doesn’t cost you anything, so click on through knowing you’re supporting my site (that isn’t free for me to host, btw) by doing so. Recent purchases include a Buddy The Elf Costume costume I wore for Halloween (now less than $29 – I am sure I’ll whip it out for Christmas too), and
I recently bought a $6 Kangaroo Black Top Hat to fancy up my suit and tie for an upcoming Holiday party. I love Amazon, but I always have a hard time shopping for other people. I’m horrible and wish someone would give me ideas that those I bought for would like. Here are some shopping ideas for yourself or your family from me. Many of these are pulled right from my “Orders” history off of Amazon over the last 18 months.
- You probably saw those sweet laser lights that project onto your neighbors’ houses the last year or two. For the lazy man who doesn’t like stringing lights, or want to add to your holiday decoration in the least amount of time, check out Laser Christmas Light with RF Remote Control – . They raised their prices the last two weeks, but I got one of these and have it ready to go.
- If you have kids, this Airzooka is pretty cool. Better than a nerf gun if you don’t like projectiles (most moms) and keeps cats away (seriously) as it shoots a blast of air. Fun toy for less than $20.
- For those in colder climates that spend time outdoors, these things are awesome: EnergyFlux Enduro Rechargeable double-sided hand warmer, USB external back up battery pack charger, 55lm LED Flashlight . They keep your hands warm for up to 7 hours before you need to recharge, but serves as a battery pack (for your phone) plus flashlight. This should be in emergency kits if you’re hitting the road in the winter like we often do.
- My 11 year old daughter is very musically inclined. She now plays piano, saxophone, ukulele, and guitar. She’s had piano lessons for awhile and is in the school 6th grade band for sax. However, the stringed instruments she plays are mostly self taught, with me doing some lessons and initial teaching as well. I am a mostly a self-taught guitar player (a story for another day), but about 15 years ago I bought a pre-CBS 1965 Fender Mustang guitar in rough shape and fixed up it up and modded it for personal use. Great project for those who enjoy this type of thing. Anyway, it has a 3/4 scale meaning people or kids with smaller hands can play it easier. Birdsnest now plays it as she learns some real rock songs using the video game Rocksmith (available on Xbox/PS platforms plus computers). It is pretty cool to watch her rock out to Def Leppard, Nirvana, Weezer, and Foo Fighters to name a few. I love the game too, and it ramps up depending on your skill level so a beginner like Birdsnest will have it easier than a poser like me. Check it out – you basically plug any electric guitar into it and go, many have learned to play this way. Highly recommended for anyone who likes music or wanted to learn to play the guitar but were too intimidated to learn.
- I am a front pocket wallet carrier, who was looking for a replacement for my worn out Fossil leather money clip-slash-wallet. I ended up buying this carbon fiber clip wallet and am very happy. If you have a big fat wallet and want to pare down, I highly recommend it. You’ll feel a little naked at first without so much crap in your back (or front) pocket, but you’ll find it liberating to carry just what you need.
- If you don’t have a portable Bluetooth speaker yet (what are you, a cave man??!), or even if you do, you should check out the Music Angel Levitating Portable Wireless Bluetooth Speaker it is cool as hell, has superb reviews, and costs about half of the competitors (now on sale anyway).
- If you still charge your phone by plugging in, you too are a caveman. I rock Samsung (no Iphone for this dude) but ALWAYS had issues getting the micro plug to fit properly for charging. I got this chinese knockoff brand VicTsing Fast Charge Wireless Charging Pad for iPhone, Nexus and More where I rest my phone on it and it charges. This one is for iphones I think, but this brand makes it for other brands too. Mine lights up at night, which I hate, but other models don’t. The place-on-dock product is awesome and despite the fact you’ve never heard of the global mega-company VicTsing (look out Apple), the thing works great.
- If you have an artistic or quirky kid like mine, or like Steampunk (like me), or cosplay, there is a lot of cool steampunk accessories on Amazon, like these “welding goggles” (I like how someone asked if they worked, and the answer is ‘yes, but I don’t recommend actually welding in them.’ Ha!). By they way, there’s even a reality show Steampunk’d on Hulu or Netflix which was super fun to watch.
- If your wife is like mine and likes to look younger Mayumi Squalane Skin Oil is the shit. I even use it when I remember. Supposedly removes wrinkles and the like, even if your wife has hit the wall. Check out the reviews (nearly 80% 5 star on Amazon, unheard of), my wife Holly thinks it is made from unicorn tears. True story.
- If you like to cook, even a little, a quality salt and pepper grinder is a must. The one we got a year back has been discontinued, but these $20 Premium Brushed Stainless Steel grinders are good for your wife, your mom, or whoever in your family likes to cook.
- I love these Raglan 3/4 Sleeve Shirt. I have three. They are also listed in my Recommended resources, Stuff I recommend tab on the site.
- For the geek on your list, a Flux Capacitor USB Car Charger. It plugs into your lighter and has 2 USB chargers for charging phones or ipads or whatever.
- If you enjoy coffee like we do (we literally have 7 different ways to make coffee in our house), the cheap coffee grinder (or worse, pre-ground coffee) just isn’t going to cut it. We use a nice entry level burr grinder that Reddit recommends: the Baratza Encore . It is not the cheapest, but actually does the trick compared to many that are priced as “budget.” If you really enjoy a good cup of coffee, this does the job compared to a blade grinder.
- Speaking of coffee, for $30 buying a 12 oz french press for work or home, this Bodum Eileen French Press is fucking awesome! While it is quick and easy for us to do drip coffee, a little extra time gives a great cup of coffee.
- If you are looking for kid stocking stuffers ($7), check out LED Changing Color Gloves . We got some for our daughter last year and they still come out for fun times at bedtime. Note: This brand “May” make it in time for Christmas. Order smartly and early for cheap stuff, that’s what I learned last year.
- If you like giving cash or earrings as a gift, a wooden puzzle box may be up your ally. Unlike some that won’t get here in time for Christmas, this one looks like they have it in stock. For less than $8 it’s a cool gift idea. Or if you want something a little more expensive that you can provide the clue for a word at the end of, say, a Christmas scavenger hunt, check out the Puzzle Pod Cryptex – (~$30).
- My wife is hard to shop for. This is something that has been a hit – comfy pajamas. For some reason, she doesn’t like the slutty lingerie or sexy pajamas I buy for
herme very much. Weird. These bamboo pajamas are just up her ally. Women’s Bamboo Pajama Sleep Set. Nearly 900 reviews by women with 86% 5 or 4 star is unheard of. Women can’t agree on anything, let alone sleepwear. Buy these, your wife will thank you. Just pick her color and size.
- If you haven’t heard of binaural beats or have checked out the Headspace or other meditation apps, you should do a little research. They do a lot to calm your mind or promote powerful relaxation or concentration effects. Both me and my daughter put in earbuds at night and are out like a light. These may be better and are highly rated headband-type headphones that don’t stick in your ears. CozyPhones Sleep Headphones , and they come in kid sizes. CozyPhones Kids Headphones
That’s all I’ve got this year. Plus Legos for Loudboy. Of course Legos. For me, all I want is an extra set of 45# steel Olympic plates for my home gym. My hex bar has no more room.
If I don’t say so in a future post, thanks again for reading this year. It has been different in many ways, but I’m hoping to have cool new stuff next year so stay tuned.
Have a great holiday season the next six weeks (and thanks again for clicking through and buying through my links) and hopefully continue working on finding the path to your own fulfillment and happiness.
Until next time…